- How to obtain a Bhutanese Visa?
To obtain a Bhutanese visa, you should file an application for a visa in advance. The easiest way to file the visa application can be through the tour operator. As your application is filed through the tour operator, it is sent to Tourism Council of Bhutan. After the application is checked and payment for your trip is made in full, the council issues an approval letter. The application if further processed by Ministry of foreign affairs and visa approval is made. After visa approval, the ministry notifies and issued a confirmation number to tour operator and airlines (Druk air/ Bhutan airlines). Only after this process, your air tickets will be approved and visa endorsement would be stamped in your passport upon your arrival in Paro airport or any border crossings.
(*If you are from the countries – Maldives, Bangladesh and Indian passport holder, you will not require a visa to enter Bhutan)
- What are the documents that you require for a Bhutanese visa?
For obtaining a visa, you will require a valid passport, identification document, passport-sized photo, hotel confirmation, itinerary, visa fees (in cash). You will have to fill a visa application form with those documents.
- What are the entry points to enter into Bhutan?
There are four legal entry points into Bhutan
- By air – Paro International Airport
- By land – with India at Phuentsholing, Gelephu and Samdrup Jongkhar
- What are the visa fees to be paid or obtaining a visa?
The Bhutan visa cost is USD 40. Apart from this, you need to pay in full to the tour operator for the trip that you have booked. Besides, there is a minimum spending requirement for tourists. From December to February it costs USD 200 per person per night and from June to August, USD 250 per night per person is applicable. Only the US dollar is acceptable for visa fees.
- What currency is used in Bhutan?
The currency of Bhutan is Ngultrum (Nu). 1 Ngultrum (Nu) = 100 Chetrum (Ch)
Notes are denominated as Nu 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 and 500 and coins are denominated in Nu 1, 50, 25 and 20 chetrum. Note: US Dollars are also widely accepted in Bhutan.
- What is another general must know information?
- You can’t apply for a tourist visa yourself. You will have to do it through an authorized travel agent.
- There is a minimum spending threshold for tourists who travel to Bhutan.
- Except for Bhutan and Thimpu, rest of Bhutan is restricted to the foreigners. Though you are travelling with a guide, you will need a special permit.
- You cannot enter into a temple when there is a festival. Also, you can visit the temple only with a guide accompanying you.